Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pillow Cookies

Disclaimer: Not the most sustainable post.

I know that I am supposed to be writing about local food, but I discovered something that cannot be kept from the world. Bakerella, a great baking website, featured the recipe. Readers, let me introduce you to the Pillow Cookie. It’s a brownie wrapped inside of a chocolate chip cookie. Momma and my two sisters were in town, so we all got together at my grandparents and made them. This entry is a tribute to the chocoholics out there, aka the Maxwell family. Also,  when I say I made cookies at my grandparents house, this typically would not be something you would casually refer to when your grandparents are 92 and 94. However, my grandparents are super functional, independently living, driving, “with it”, honorable people. In fact, they designed their house when I was a teenager, yep, in their eighties, as their dream house. So, when I went to grandma’s house to make cookies with my family, what I am trying to tell you is that my family is awesome and I feel very fortunate to be able to say that line given their ages.


Back to the pillow cookies. By now, you’ve hopefully processed what I just proposed to you. Yes, I repeat BROWNIE IN A CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE. What’s also wonderful about this cookie is that you can make it as quickly or as authentically as you want. Since we were in a bind for time, Alissa picked up the brownies. Is you buy premade brownies, mash them up in a bowl and add about 1 tbs of butter and 1 tbs of water so that the brownies do not dry out when baked for the cookie portion. If you really wanted to, you could even buy the cookie dough. However, if you have the afternoon, I fully encourage you to make both the brownies and chocolate chip cookies from scratch. Which is also why instead of providing you with my own recipes for either, everyone does have their own favorite recipe, I am just going to include pictures and directions, not ingredients.

Ingredients:
Your favorite brownies, undercooked
Your favorite chocolate chip cookie dough

Directions:
1. Make your own brownies. If you make them from scratch, pull them out of the oven a little early so that they can cook a little more in the cookie.
2. Make your own favorite chocolate chip cookie dough.

3. Break up the brown and using your hands, form small balls of the brownie. Make them smaller than you think they need to be. Definitely no more than 3/4 inch in diameter.

4. Scoop the cookie dough into your hand and encase it around a brownie ball. the dough may need to be chilled first so that it is less sticky.
5. Attempt to flatten the pillow cookie so that it is not obscenely large. Avoid making baseballs.
6. Place the uncooked pillow cookies on a cookie sheet. Give them plenty of space to spread out.
7. Put in the oven until the cookies are golden brown.

8. Remove cookies to a cooling rack, cool, and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I am glad to miss them, or upset to miss them! I can't handle the calories, but they look great!

    ReplyDelete